Archive for October 10, 2017

DSCN7281

Despite being close to the impressive Priory, St James Castle Acre is a large Church not much smaller than the Priory church itself. A church has existed in Acre since at least the late Saxon period as it is recorded that when William de Warrenne found Castle Acre Priory in 1090, the priory was granted income and control of ‘the church at Acre’

DSCN7283

During the 14th and 15th century it became an important stop on the pilgrim’s way to the shrine at Walsingham and the church was rebuilt in the Perpendicular Gothic style. The church contains a number of interesting 15th-century features;

– a hexagonal font

DSCN7282

– a wine-glass pulpit with paintings of Latin biblical scholars

DSCN7286

– Rood screen with paintings of the 11 disciples plus St Matthias.