Archive for the ‘Norfolk’ Category

Norfolk Skies (2)

Posted: October 19, 2017 in Landscape, Natural History, Norfolk, UK
Tags:

DSCN7347

Some more cloudscapes from our recent trip to Norfolk

Norfolk Skies (1)

Posted: October 18, 2017 in Landscape, Natural History, Norfolk, UK
Tags:

 

DSCN7348

Regular readers will know I have a fascination with skies. On our recent trip to Norfolk, the mixed weather we encountered certainly gave me lots of opportunity for photographing the wonderful cloud formations

DSCN7313

St Margaret’s church, Hardley is located in the Norfolk Broads, an area located in the east of the county formed of river-fed connected lakes and much beloved by the boating and sailing fraternity. Whilst not as isolated as St Mary Houghton, St Margaret’s too stands in open fields with only a couple of houses nearby, testimony to the farming communities which it once served and which have now disappeared.

DSCN7317

It is not clear when the church was originally built (it has been suggested that the chancel arch dates from the 13th century), but records of the Great Hospital in Norwich (owners of the manor of Hardley) show that in 1456 a decision was taken to rebuild the chancel and two years later they authorised the replacement of the roof. This might suggest that the original building had fallen into disrepair or out of use before this date. The work was completed by 1461. The church contains a number of features which date from this rebuild. The 15th-century font has an octagonal bowl on a stem supported by lions.

DSCN7316

The 15th-century wall paintings were discovered several years ago during redecoration

There are 3 panels, St Christopher, St Catherine and a consecration cross which probably dates from the time the church was re-consecrated as a place of worship after the 15th-century rebuilding.

DSCN7319

The chancel screen dates from the 15th century and the simple pulpit is from the Jacobean period (early 17th century).

 

DSCN7281

Despite being close to the impressive Priory, St James Castle Acre is a large Church not much smaller than the Priory church itself. A church has existed in Acre since at least the late Saxon period as it is recorded that when William de Warrenne found Castle Acre Priory in 1090, the priory was granted income and control of ‘the church at Acre’

DSCN7283

During the 14th and 15th century it became an important stop on the pilgrim’s way to the shrine at Walsingham and the church was rebuilt in the Perpendicular Gothic style. The church contains a number of interesting 15th-century features;

– a hexagonal font

DSCN7282

– a wine-glass pulpit with paintings of Latin biblical scholars

DSCN7286

– Rood screen with paintings of the 11 disciples plus St Matthias.

DSCN7229

The priory was founded by William de Warrenne, Earl of Surrey on his land at Acre in Norfolk. The first Earl together with his wife had journeyed to Rome on pilgrimage and stopped at the monastery of Cluny in France. He subsequently invited the Cluniac order to establish a priory at Lewes in Sussex. It is not clear if it was this William or his son, also called William, who invited the Cluniac monks to establish a new house on the families land in Norfolk at Acre.

DSCN7230

The priory as it would have looked before the dissolution

DSCN7232

The west end of the priory church

DSCN7242

The cloisters of the priory formed the centre around which all the other buildings were arranged

The Prior’s Solar and a fragment of medieval wall painting from the Prior’s chapel suggesting that it would have been highly decorated

The priory was very successful and continued to grow until the time it was surrendered to the crown commissioners in 1537 on the orders of Henry VIII. The land was given to Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk won had the priory buildings demolished with the exception of the Priors lodgings which were converted into a private residence.

DSCN7278

The Prior’s lodgings showing some of the changes that occurred when it was converted into a private residence

The ownership passed to Edward Coke, Earl of Leicester in the 17th century and has remained in the Coke family ever since. The site is now managed by English Heritage.

DSCN7206

The remains of the Inner Bailey and curtain wall

William de Warrenne came to England in the army of William the Conqueror and fought at the Battle of Hastings. Afterwards, he became one of the King’s most trusted magnates. He was made Earl of Surrey and acquired lands in Norfolk through his wife. He chose the village of Acre near Swaffham as his base in the area.

Castle Acre is one of the best examples of a Motte and Bailey Castle from the early Middle Ages and the fortifications that remain give you a good indication of quite how formidable these castles must have seemed.

DSCN7210

Outer Bailey


DSCN7221

Outer Bailey c 12th century

 

The original castle was a moated Manor House but in the 12th century, the fortifications were improved, including the building of a keep to replace the Manor House.

DSCN7212

13th century keep which replaced the original manor house


DSCN7214

Remains of 13th century keep


DSCN7208

Ditch surrounding Outer Bailey

However, by the end of the 14th century, the Earls of Surrey had moved on to live at other estates and the castle had been abandoned.

 

DSCN7302

The church of St Mary at Houghton-on-the -Hill is possibly one of the most important churches in England. In it are found some of the earliest religious wall paintings still existing in the country.

DSCN7292

Roman tiles (? from nearby villa site) reused in Norman wall

DSCN7291

Evidence of earlier (? pre-Norman building) included within the Norman wall

There has been a settlement at Houghton-on-the-hill since Roman times – a Roman villa has been identified on the site from crop marks in a nearby field. It is believed to be a church on the site since Saxon times and a church was certainly in existence at the time of the Doomsday book survey in 1086. Shortly afterwards a Norman church was built on the site of the Saxon one, incorporating some material from the earlier church and the nearby Roman ruins.

 

 

 

 

 

In the 12th century, a south aisle was added to house the remains of Sir Robert de Neville, a local landowner, who was executed for ‘having a criminal conversation with a lady’ which probably meant having an affair with a married high-born woman. This was later demolished in the 14th or 15th century.

DSCN7294

South side of the church, showing the outline of 12th Century South Aisle.

In the 15th century the original round tower collapsed and was replaced by a square tower. From the 16th century, the village began to go into decline as people moved away. In the 18th century, the medieval chancel was demolished and was replaced by a much smaller one.

DSCN7293

Site of original altar and outline of pre-18th-century chancel

By the early 19th century only a few cottages remained around the church and changes in the management of the estate in the early 20th century further added to the dispersion of the local population. The last service was held in the late 1930s and it was subsequently abandoned. It remained a ruin until a local resident Bob Davey began a campaign to restore the church and it was early in the restoration work that the 11th-12th-century wall paintings were discovered and the importance of the church fully recognised.

DSCN7299DSCN7295DSCN7296

 

Titchwell Beach

A bright sunny morning so we headed towards the RSPB reserve at Titchwell. Our first stop was at Island hide where we were directed onto two Little Stints amongst the waders.

Little Stint

There was also a good number of Ruff and Black-tailed Godwits plus a few Redshank and 2 Red Knot. On Volunteer marsh were a large group of Northern Lapwing and a smaller group of Grey Plover. A single Oystercatcher was also present. The sea was quiet apart from a few passing gulls plus a group of 5 Oystercatcher and a single Red Knot flying westwards.

Ruff

Black-tailed Godwit

On the salt-marsh, we saw two Black-tailed Godwits ‘fencing’ using their long bills. Never seen behaviour like this before.

Black-tailed Godwits

Returning to the visitor centre we set out along the Fen trail. From Fen hide I had a brief view of a Bearded Reedling in flight over the reeds and on Pats Pool there were a large group of Mallard, Common Pochard and Gadwall plus a few Teal and Tufted Ducks. We located 3 Little Grebes in various parts of the pool and a Grey Heron.

Pat’s pool, Titchwell

Little Grebe

Leaving Titchwell we went a short distance inland to Chelsey Barns. This is reckoned to be the best site in Norfolk for the now rare Corn Bunting. We were joined by a couple of local birders who said that there appeared to have been a change in use of the Barns as there was no longer spilt seed in the courtyard (which was what attracted the birds) and as a result it is no longer such a good site to see the buntings although they are still seen here from time to time. Unfortunately, on this occasion, we were unlucky although we did find 3 Grey Partridge, another farmland species in serious decline, on one of the fields.

Common Darter (f)

Common Darter (m)

Red Admiral

Grey Partridge. Photo by Sergey Yeliseev (https://www.flickr.com/photos/yeliseev/)

Common Pheasant [sp] (Phasianus colchicus)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Common Shelduck (Tadorna tadorna)
Gadwall (Anas strepera)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Eurasian Teal [sp] (Anas crecca)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Western Marsh Harrier [sp] (Circus aeruginosus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Eurasian Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Eurasian Oystercatcher [sp] (Haematopus ostralegus)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Grey Plover [sp] (Pluvialis squatarola)
Black-tailed Godwit [sp] (Limosa limosa)
Eurasian Curlew [sp] (Numenius arquata)
Common Redshank [sp] (Tringa totanus)
Red Knot [sp] (Calidris canutus)
Little Stint (Calidris minuta)
Ruff (Philomachus pugnax)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Mew Gull [sp] (Larus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Eurasian Collared Dove [sp] (Streptopelia decaocto)
Eurasian Blue Tit [sp] (Cyanistes caeruleus)
Bearded Reedling [sp] (Panurus biarmicus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
Pied Wagtail [sp] (Motacilla alba)
Common Chaffinch [sp] (Fringilla coelebs)
European Greenfinch [sp] (Carduelis chloris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
Common Linnet [sp] (Carduelis cannabina)

DSCN7122

Aveling and Porter Light Engine 1928

A changeable morning, weather-wise, and so we decide to visit the Thursford Collection, an interesting museum of steam engines, fairground rides and steam organs. These reach their heydey in the years before the First World War but due to developments in the diesel and petrol engine as a result of the war effort, steam engines very quickly became obsolete in the years that followed.

 

DSCN7150

‘Medina’ Showman’s engine 1920

DSCN7124

‘Unity’ 1910

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Its founder George Cushing had been a farm labourer when he got a job as a steam-roller driver for Kings Lynn Council. Using he savings he eventually purchased a steam-roller from the council and set up his own contracting business. Gradually he added more vehicles to the fleet.

DSCN7138

Steam-driven fairground rides

DSCN7130

120 key Mortier fairground organ

DSCN7120

Portable industrial steam engine used to run machines

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the 1930’s he began buying up steam engines to save them from being sent to the scrapyard. He stored them on a farm which he had purchased. People started to travel to the farm to view his collection and eventually in 1970 it was opened as a museum. It was originally housed in the old farm buildings but eventually, purpose-built buildings replaced these.

DSCN7146

‘Edward VII’ Showman’s engine 1905

DSCN7128

Clayton Steam Wagon

DSCN7116

An appropriate way to travel to the Collection?

 

The first church on the site was built as the chapel of St Mary of the Meadows by Sir Robert de Nerford. In 1217, Sir Robert and his wife Alice decided to found a hospital on the site in conjunction with an Augustinian Priory. 8 years later King Henry III gave the priory Abbey status.

DSCN7106

DSCN7110

DSCN7113

In 1484 fire swept through the priory and the hospital causing extensive damage. Unable to fund the repairs the canons appealed to the King and Richard III and other members of the nobility gave gifts to aid in the rebuilding. Even with this help, the new priory was rebuilt on a smaller scale. This was completed in 1503.

Church c 1500

DSCN7108

Plan of church after rebuilding showing the contraction in size

Unfortunately, in 1506 the abbey was devastated by an outbreak of plague which killed all of the canons. The property passed to the crown and was granted by Lady Margaret Beaufort to Christ’s College Cambridge.

 

The ruins are managed by English Heritage.