Archive for July 23, 2015

20150503_113533a

Tynemouth Priory was refounded around the year 1090 and in 1093 was the site of burial of King Malcolm the third of Scotland after he had been killed at the Battle of Alnwick (it is believed that at some later date, the King’s body was removed from Tynemouth and reburied in Dunfermline).
The Priory continue to be redeveloped throughout the 13th and 14th centuries with the addition of new buildings, new walls and a new gatehouse. It is believed this was a result of increased raiding into Northumbria from Scotland.

Gatehouse

Gatehouse

In 1312 King Edward II, sought refuge in Tynemouth whilst fleeing in the company of his favourite Piers Gaveston. In Christopher Marlowe’s play ‘King Edward II’ there is a scene titled ‘before Tynemouth Castle’. The Priory was disbanded in 1536 and the Priory lands given to St Thomas Hilton, but the Castle remained in royal hands.

20150503_114030a

14th century floor tile from site

14th century floor tile from site

14th centruy pilgrims badge from site

14th centruy pilgrims badge from site


20150503_112611a

20150503_112657a

20150503_112730a

New fortifications were added to the Castle from the year 1545 onwards and in 1564, it was the birthplace of Henry Percy, who would become the ninth Earl of Northumberland, his father being at the time the guardian of the Castle. In 1665 a lighthouse was built on the site, primarily from stone taken from the Priory buildings, in order to aid shipping entering the River Tyne. This remained in operation until 1898.

Tynemouth Lighthouse

Tynemouth Lighthouse