Archive for March 30, 2016



St Andrew’s Church dates back to the 12th Century. In the 13th century it was associated with Baynards Castle, a nearby Royal residence and its rather unusual name dates from this period when King Edward III moved his robe store from the Tower of London to a nearby building. This storage house was known as ‘The Great Wardrobe’ and hence the church became known as St Andrew by the wardrobe.

The great wardrobe and the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and the church was not rebuilt until 1695. In fact, it was the last city church rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren. It was destroyed again during the second world war and was rebuilt, opening again in 1961.


The church has an association with a number of livery companies including the Mercers, Apothocaries, Parish Clerks and Blacksmiths.