Archive for October 14, 2016

dscn8133a

 

The Church was first recorded in the 12th century with a notice the mayor of the city calling a meeting of Brabant weavers in the churchyard to resolve a dispute with the Flemish weavers.

Like many city churches, the medieval building was destroyed in the Great Fire of London and was rebuilt by Christopher Wren between 1686 – 1694.

The origin of the name of the church is unknown but it has been suggested that it has a connection with Ralph de Somery, who lived nearby. An alternative explanation is that it derives from Summer’s Hythe a nearby dock.

With declining congregations, it was decided in the 19th century  to close the church and the last service was held on the 1st February 1867 and the body of the church was demolished in 1871. The Tower was saved and is all that can be seen of the Wren church today.

The proceeds from the sale of the ground paid for the building of St Mary Hoxton, which also received the furnishings and the bell removed from the church.