Sheringham’ s first lifeboat was purchased in 1838 by a donation from local fisherman and residents. In 1866 the RNLI obtained permission to build a lifeboat station. This was replaced by a new station with better sea access in 1904.
This lifeboat arrived in 1904. During its service, it was launched 34 times and saved 58 lives. When it was retired in 1936 it was purchased and used as a private pleasure boat. In 1989 it was purchased by Sheringham Museum trust and restored to its original state. In 2010 it went on display at Sheringham Museum.
The lifeboat arrived in 1936 and was active during World War II when it became known as the ‘Airman’s Lifeboat’ because of the number of launches it made to rescue airman who had ditched planes off the Norfolk coast. In 1961 it was retired and was used along the Essex coast. In 1995 it was placed into storage in Aylsham until it was transferred to Sheringham Museum in 2010.
Manchester Unity of Oddfellows
The lifeboat arrived in 1961 and served at Sheringham until 1990. It is now displayed at Sheringham Museum.
In 1986 an inshore boat was stationed at Sheringham in addition to a lifeboat. When the lifeboat Lloyds II (1990-92) was retired the station continued to be the home of an inshore boat.