Archive for November 16, 2017

Charterhouse: Tour (3)

Posted: November 16, 2017 in History, London, Medieval History, UK
Tags:

Our tour next takes us to the Chapel. The current chapel occupies part of the original monastic chapterhouse and in the ante-chapel, some elements of this original building can be seen. When the church was demolished following the dissolution, the chapterhouse was converted into a small chapel for the use of the new owners. A new aisle was added in 1614 primarily to accommodate the tomb of Thomas Sutton, the founder of the hospital, and to provide additional room for the expanding community at Charterhouse. In 1626 the first organ was installed.

Tomb of Thomas Sutton

The Organ above the entrance to the chapel

A second expansion was made in 1825 when a large bay was added to the north side to accommodate scholars from the school.

Bay added to north side to accommodate scholars from Charterhouse school

The Font