Posts Tagged ‘Charterhouse’

Our tour brings us to the Museum which contains items associated with the history of Charterhouse

19th-century property mark taken from a building owned by Charterhouse.

Matthew Bible (1549). One of the first English translations

A 17th-century chest used for storing valuables – Found at Charterhouse

15th-century-floor tiles from the monastery

Having finished our tour we emerge into the memorial garden.

The Memorial garden

The tomb of Sir William Manny, who built the first chapel on the site in 1349. In 1371 this chapel would become part of the Charterhouse monastery.

Memorial to the Carthusian monks from Charterhouse who were executed or died during the dissolution of the monastery

Charterhouse: Tour (3)

Posted: November 16, 2017 in History, London, Medieval History, UK
Tags:

Our tour next takes us to the Chapel. The current chapel occupies part of the original monastic chapterhouse and in the ante-chapel, some elements of this original building can be seen. When the church was demolished following the dissolution, the chapterhouse was converted into a small chapel for the use of the new owners. A new aisle was added in 1614 primarily to accommodate the tomb of Thomas Sutton, the founder of the hospital, and to provide additional room for the expanding community at Charterhouse. In 1626 the first organ was installed.

Tomb of Thomas Sutton

The Organ above the entrance to the chapel

A second expansion was made in 1825 when a large bay was added to the north side to accommodate scholars from the school.

Bay added to north side to accommodate scholars from Charterhouse school

The Font

Charterhouse: Tour (2)

Posted: November 9, 2017 in History, London, UK
Tags:

Returning to the main quadrangle we come to the Great Hall.

 

The Great Hall dates from around 1540 and remodelled by the Duke of Norfolk around 1570. The chimneystack dates from the alterations made when Thomas Sutton purchased the priory house in 1614.

Then onto the Great Chamber. The decoration here is the work of the Duke of Norfolk in 1570. The thistle emblems in the ceiling decoration are thought to be due to his association with Mary Queen of Scots. It was this association that would lead to Duke’s execution in 1572. This room was damaged by a fire in 1941 but has been restored to its original state. During the school’s occupation, this room was used by the Governors for their meetings.

 

Moving on we pass a medieval door (or all that remains of it)

DSCN5008-10

Charterhouse: Tour (1)

Posted: November 2, 2017 in History, London, UK
Tags:

Charterhouse as it is today

As you enter there is a gallery of memorials to former scholars of the school

 

Then you enter the common room

 

Then we leave the building once again to explore the quadrangle and some of the other buildings in the complex

 

A few months back I had the opportunity to visit the Charterhouse in London.

The land on which it stands was outside of the original city and is first recorded in 1348 when it was used as a burial site for people who had died during the Black Death plague outbreak. In 1371 The Carthusian order founded a Monastery on the site.

Following the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century, it was used to house important visitors and for state and royal meetings and ceremonies. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, a wealthy merchant, who founded an almshouse for 80 merchants, sailors and soldiers who had fallen on hard times and a school for the education of young men.

The school moved to a new site in Godalming, Surrey in 1872, but the almshouses remained on the London site. In 2016 the charterhouse was opened to the public allowing many people to see this fine Medieval building for the first time.