Returning to the main quadrangle we come to the Great Hall.
The Great Hall dates from around 1540 and remodelled by the Duke of Norfolk around 1570. The chimneystack dates from the alterations made when Thomas Sutton purchased the priory house in 1614.
Then onto the Great Chamber. The decoration here is the work of the Duke of Norfolk in 1570. The thistle emblems in the ceiling decoration are thought to be due to his association with Mary Queen of Scots. It was this association that would lead to Duke’s execution in 1572. This room was damaged by a fire in 1941 but has been restored to its original state. During the school’s occupation, this room was used by the Governors for their meetings.
Moving on we pass a medieval door (or all that remains of it)