3405 is a member of the 35NC class built in Glasgow for South African Railways in 1954. it is among the most powerful and advanced steam locomotives to be built. It can run for over 100 miles without having to be refilled with water, which makes it ideal for long haul trains in a country as large as South Africa. 3405 often pulled the famous ‘blue train’.
It was withdrawn form service in the late 1970s and was donated to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton Road, where it is on display. Due to the difference in gauge between UK and South African Railways it is not possible for it to be displayed in steam.