Archive for May 3, 2014

The Mary Rose was originally designed as a platform for soldiers to board another ship. Her original allotment of guns was 78 but of these only 5 were carriage mounted. She was refitted in the mid-1530’s to become much more of a gun platform. After this refit she would carry over 90 guns of which about a third were carriage mounted (Contrast this with HMS Victory where almost all the guns were carriage mounted). The guns were a mixture of types. The bronze cannons were the best and most efficient with the greatest range but these were very expensive, so smaller guns tended to be made in wrought Iron.

Selection of shot from Mary Rose

Selection of shot from Mary Rose

Carriage mounted gun

Carriage mounted gun

Barrel of gun showing inscription indicating that it was commissioned by Henry VIII for the re-fit in the mid 1530s when the number of large guns was increased

Barrel of gun showing inscription indicating that it was commissioned by Henry VIII for the re-fit in the mid 1530s when the number of large guns was increased