Archive for August 19, 2016


The memorial, designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, was commissioned by Queen Victoria in memory of her husband Prince Albert, who had died in 1861.



It opened in 1872, although the seated statue, by John Foley and Thomas Brock, was not added until 1875.


The memorial was recently restored which included the restoration of the gold leaf. The statue had been painted black for approx 80 years and it was traditionally thought that this was to prevent it being a target for Zepplin raids in World War 1. However recent research has suggested that the paint was applied pre-1914, possibly as a response to pollution damage to the original gold leaf.