The War Memorial stands in Quarry Park not far from St Chad’s church. It was designed by George Hubbard and was unveiled in 1923 to commemorate the dead of World War 1. It was later re-commemorated to include those who fell in World War II. It is built in Portland Stone and the mosaic on the floor is made up of the county arms and the badges of local regiments. The statue of St Michael is in bronze and is by AG Wyon.