One of the venues for the talks at the History weekend was the King’s Manor. The original house on this site was built in the 12th century as a lodging for the Abbot of the adjacent St Mary’s Abbey. There was a substantial rebuilding of the property in the 15th century and on the dissolution of St Mary’s in 1539, it became the headquarters for the Council of the North, a regional government set up by Henry VIII. When the council was disbanded in 1641, the Manor became the home of the Governor of York. From 1668 until the 19th century it was let to private individuals. In the 19th century, it was purchased for the Yorkshire School for the Blind, who remained in the property until they relocated in 1958. It was acquired by York Council and leased to the University of York, where it housed the Department of Architectural Studies and the Centre for Medieval Studies. When the former relocated, it was replaced by the Department of Archaeology.