Posts Tagged ‘Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway’

Some pictures of other locomotives and wagons seen on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite railway in Cumbria on our recent visit

DSCN3751

DSCN3746

DSCN3757

DSCN3763

DSCN3759a

DSCN3754

DSCN3741

Locomotive 7120 was built for the LMSR at Derby in 1945. It passed from them to British Rail and then onto use with the Royal corps of Transport. It is now at lakeside and Haverthwiate Railway in Cumbria.

DSCN3747a

DSCN3749a

AD 601
AD601
Photo by Derek Hoskins (https://www.flickr.com/photos/derekh64/)

DSCN3757a

42085 is one of 2 Fairburn’s that are now working at the Lakeside and Haverthwiate railway in Cumbria. It was built at Brighton in 1951 for British Railways and saw brief service on the southern region being stationed at Brighton and then Stewarts Lane in south London. In 1952 it was transferred to Gateshead and subsequently saw service at a number of depots in the north-east before being transferred to Leeds in 1965. It was purchased from BR in October 1965 and transferred to the Lakeside and Haverthwaite railway.

DSCN3759a

DSCN3760a

DSCN3762a


Video by johnmn2009

DSCN3739a

3698 Repulse is an example of the Hunslett austerity class of industrial locomotives. It was built in 1950 and saw service for the National Coal board for 25 years before being withdrawn in 1975. It was purchased by the LHR in 1976 and restored and was operating the train service on the day we visited.

Windermere from Platform at Lakeside Station

Windermere from Platform at Lakeside Station

The line leaves Lakeside station alongside Lake Windermere and passes into the valley of the river Leven, just above where it enters into the Lake.

DSCN3792a

It then passes along the valley of the Leven

DSCN3787a

DSCN3783a

DSCN3781a

As it approaches Haverthwaite it leaves the river valley and begins to climb

DSCN3776a

It passes through tunnels and cuttings before emerging at Haverthwaite station.

DSCN3775a

Haverthwaite Station

Haverthwaite Station

In the 1860s the Furness Railway Company decided to build a branch line from Plumpton Junction, near Ulverston to Lake Windermere to service the local industry and to connect with the growing tourist trade to the Lake. They also invested in the steamer company which was providing boat tours of the lake. This new line would aldo allow wealthy factory owners with houses around Windermere direct travel to factories and facilities in Barrow.

The work began in 1866 with the proposed terminus at Newby bridge on the river leven, but it quickly became evident that this was not accesible to the largest steamers on the lake and so a new terminus was designed at Lakeside on the shores of Windermere. The railway opened in June 1869.

Newby Bridge Station (the original planned terminus of the original branch line)

Newby Bridge Station (the original planned terminus of the original branch line)

Lakeside station from Windermere

Lakeside station from Windermere

In addition to the passenger traffic the line brought coal (for the lake steamers), iron ore and sulphur (for local industry) up to lakeside where it could be loaded onto boats for distribution. On the return journey it carried iron, gunpowder, pit props and other local produce to the the industry in the coastal area.

The decline and closure of the line started in the 2nd world war with the closure of Newby bridge Station. Haverthwiate and Grenodd, the other two intermediary stations closed in 1946, although traffic continued to run through to Lakeside until the end of passenger traffic in 1965 and the total closure of the line 2 years later.

A preservation society was formed almost immediately and the line was purchased in 1970 with the foist engine and rolling stock arriving the following year. The line re-opened in June 1973 and runs from Haverthwiate to Lakeside, where the trains connect with Windermere steamers.

Windermere from Platform at Lakeside Station

Windermere from Platform at Lakeside Station

Haverthwaite Station

Haverthwaite Station

Haverthwaite station

Haverthwaite station

The refreshment room at Haverthwiate Station

The refreshment room at Haverthwiate Station