4489 has gone under a number of different name changes during its life. It was originally to be called Buzzard, but was eventually named Woodcock when it left the works in May 1937. In December of that year, it was renamed Dominion of Canada. In recognition of this, it carried a Canadian Pacific Railway issue whistle and bell, the only A4 to do so. The locomotive spent its time on the East Coast mainline until its withdrawal from service in May 1965. It was initially stored in Darlington depot as they began restoration crew in March 1966. Following restoration. It was shipped to Canada and displayed in the Canadian Railway Museum near Montreal. It was shipped back to the UK in September 2012 to take part in the Mallard 75 celebrations, prior to which it received a complete overhaul. It will return to Canada in the spring of 2014.
4489 Dominion of Canada