Archive for June 22, 2014

Views of Alnmouth (1)

Posted: June 22, 2014 in Northumberland, UK
Tags:

DSCN2640

Alnmouth is a pretty village on the Northumberland coast in the north-east of England. It is reckoned that there has been habitations on this site for a least 4000 years. It is reputed to be the site of the Synod of Twyford at which St Cuthbert was appointed Bishop of nearby Lindisfarne in A.D. 684. It is recorded as a Norman burgh in 1150 and in 1208 Eustace de Vescy was granted permission to build a port on the pennisular. Its major cargo was grain and other agricultural products.

The mouth of the Aln

The mouth of the Aln

It was to be a successful port for many centuries, although it seems that this also attracted a downside. In 1748, John Wesley the famous Methodist preacher described our month as ‘a small seaport town famous for all kinds of wickedness’. It also seems to been a haven for smugglers as are records of it having its own revenue officer appointed to control this.

DSCN2630

Today Alnmouth is a pretty village built around a single street on the peninsula of land bordered on one side by the North Sea and on the other by the river Aln.